Translate

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why I have to move your broken arm.

So if you've ever broken your arm, you prolly wanna punch me in the nuts for having to move it while I'm xraying you. I don't blame you. If some smug jerk was trying to get me to move my broken arm and I didn't know why I'd wanna punch him in the nuts too. I'll explain why to you, and hopefully I won't lose my ability to have children next time I xray you.
        In order to tell the extent of your injury, we have to get multiple planes of view. Looking down from the top, I can see that your arm is broken, but I can't tell if the bones are pushed up, pushed down, or pushed into each other. By looking at things at an angle and then sideways, I can tell if you've shoved your radius and ulna above the fracture or below, which will tell the doctor how to treat you.
    That being said, there are ways that I can move my camera and film in order to get the views I need without having to move your arm much, so if you're in a lot of pain, ask the tech to try to do a shoot thru lateral view instead of moving your arm. If they don't know how or refuse to do it, then see the first paragraph of this post.

6 comments:

  1. Hey if you could shorten that..I'd put it on a t shirt and wear it at work

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "I have to do this, don't punch me in the nuts" ? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to do a shoulder x-ray the other day. The internal looked a little funny on the humeral head but then on the external view the head looked like it had broken almost completely off. Thats why we do more than one view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, great example, thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Civility is a plus.